Monday, October 30, 2006
Fetish is mainstream. Naughty '50s pin-up Bettie Page has had a cinematic resurrection. And the lingerie department at the well known and tasteful Henri Bendel's in New York has noticed and complied with sexed up mannequins with blindfolds. And according to The New York Times, mainstream designers like Marc Jacobs and John Galliano routinely collaborate with a notorious London bondage boutique. Which brings up the noticeable . . . Bettie Page is making a difference with fashion, style and "the look," both on the front lines and back rooms at designer houses and stores. Furthermore, the "Bettie" look is alive and well for Halloween costumes! For a tasteful treat visit this terrific art site to view Arleynd's work: (Art created by Arleynd ( http://www.Moonchild30.com )) I think she did a fabulous and unique job on this photo.
Thursday, October 26, 2006
Monday, October 23, 2006
Born April 22 1923, Nashville, TN. Sad and very hard childhood which also included a stint in an orphanage. She graduated top in her class, was the salutatorian of high school class, voted Most Likely to Succeed. In 1950, while walking on Coney Island, met Jerry Tibbs, a police officer and amateur photographer who put together her first portfolio (and suggested her trademark bangs). Quickly became most popular pinup in America.
1955 Playboy centerfold, Miss Pin-Up Girl of the Year. Declined date with Howard Hughes. Was forced to testify before Congress about bondage photos, after which government destroyed negatives of many of her prints.
Quit modeling in 1957, tried to live domestic life, entered religious seminary, worked as Christian missionary, plagued with mental problems & institutionalized. Currently living in Southern California. In 1980s, Dave Stevens used Page as inspiration for heroine of Rocketeer comic strip.
Thursday, October 19, 2006
Bettie Page Rockin'!
Bettie Page Dances to the oddball Netherlands New Wave band Gruppo Sportivo featuring
Frank Zappa on Guitar. And it actually looks pretty cool!
Wednesday, October 18, 2006
Sunday, October 15, 2006
Friday, October 13, 2006
Thursday, October 12, 2006
"Then the 82-year-old icon drops a bombshell.
"I was always trying the best I could," she says on a live, televised conference call. "I've been told over the years that most people liked my smile. I used to imagine that the camera was my boyfriend and I was making love to my boyfriend through the camera." The living legend continues: "So, if I look sexy in some of the photos, that's why." For a woman who arguably paved the way for the sexual revolution of the 1960s, Page is oddly humble. In fact, her words are almost self-deprecating. "I wasn't that pretty," she says, directly addressing comparisons to her and Marilyn Monroe. "I never had good skin like Marilyn. Because I had sensitive skin I couldn't even wash my face with a washcloth because it would be red and blotchy. I had large, large pores and I used to wear pancake makeup to cover it." (Original Article found here)
Wednesday, October 11, 2006
Bettie Page played dress-up and displayed her god-given "talent," thus as she put is "freed herself from male oppression, even while playing into it. "Adam and Eve were naked in the Garden of Eden," she would reply when asked how she could pose nude.
In the new DVD "The Notorious Bettie Page" there is actually a color clip of the real Bettie Page taking off her clothes. It's very, very almost innocent by today's standards, but when you watch the actress Gretchen Mol (who plays Bettie Page), Mol, captures Bettie's innocence.
Page, set off a firestorm in the 50's. It was during this time that U.S. Senator Estes Kefauver was spearheading Congressional pressure on the those taking photos of Page. Kefauver was too late. The seeds of the sexual revolution of the '60s had already been sown, there was no stopping it with or without Page.
If you think about it, what is truly funny, the fetish outfits Bettie wore then are fashionable today, the only difference, there is no innocence or liberation in wearing them today. It is simply fashion today.
In 1957, Page turned to Jesus, but she wasn't ashamed of what she had done. After Adam and Eve sinned, she noted, they put clothes on.
Tuesday, October 10, 2006
|"My favorite actress of all times is Bette Davis in Dark Victory. I have seen it six or seven times and I still cry."|
Monday, October 09, 2006
Sailor Martin appears in the 1950's Stag flick where a tattooed and pierced ventriloquist dummy peers at a woman in her changing room. The woman is supposed to be Bettie page.
On a personal note.... the puppet . . . it's a little creepy ; )
Sunday, October 08, 2006
Play it now with your RealPlayer: http://switchboard.real.com/player/email.html?PV=6.0.12&&title=BETTIE%20PAGE%20asks%20God%27s%20forgiveness&link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gospelcom.net%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fhurl%3Ff%3Dhollywoodjesus%2Fbettie%5Fpage2.rm
Note: This content may require the latest RealPlayer, which is not available on Windows 95, Mac OS9 or Linux systems.
Thursday, October 05, 2006
Wednesday, October 04, 2006
Hopefully, if you are looking for Bettie Page Books and Movies, you can find what you need here. We have posted just a few things that we like. Wallets, music, books and movies.
Tuesday, October 03, 2006
Tue, October 3, 2006 ~ By KEVIN WILLIAMSON, SUN MEDIA
With apologies to pop wuss Justin Timberlake, he never had to bring sexy back. Sexy, if you look anywhere around you, never went away.
Today, Sun Media continues a three-part series looking at the 50 greatest sex symbols ever to hold the popular culture sway -- from movie stars and singers to athletes and models.
They are the individuals who, thanks to good genes and more than a little of that elusive ingredient we call charisma, really are too sexy for themselves -- and everyone else.
30. STING: You'd guess anyone born with the name Gordon Sumner would be destined for dorkdom. Sting, despite fronting the Police, his solo success and austere, intellectualized mystique, has turned out to be just that: a dork. Who just happens to be the thinking woman's lust toy.
29. BURT REYNOLDS: Back when hair adorned many a male lip, Reynolds lorded over all with such redneck-as-superhero movies as Smokey and the Bandit and Cannonball Run.
28. DAVID BECKHAM: Every sport needs an ambassador and soccer's cause is aided immensely by fashion plate Beckham. Hate him? Does it matter? As long as he and wife Victoria remain the sport's photogenic first family, the answer is no.
27. BETTIE PAGE: It's no surprise when Page was finally immortalized in a biopic, the movie would be entitled the Notorious Bettie Page. The pre-eminent 1940s pin-up girl of fetish photos and soft-core pornography, Page was reportedly photographed more times than even Marilyn Monroe.
26. GRACE KELLY: She was director Alfred Hitchcock's blond of choice in such classics as Rear Window before she wed Rainier III, prince of Monaco in 1956, elevating her from the status of mere Hollywood royalty to the real thing.
25. VANESSA PARADIS: A celebrity in her native France, this singer and actress is best known on this continent for being the woman who pirated away Johnny Depp.
24. DIANA RIGG: We love those catsuits, especially when they're filled out as well as when Rigg played secret agent Emma Peel in the 1960s British television series The Avengers.
23. ROCK HUDSON: A major movie star hiding his true sexual identity? Thank God that could never happen today. Before Hudson became the face of AIDS and closeted Hollywood, he was the square-jawed man's man who starred (opposite Doris Day) in a string of 1960s comedies, then in the TV series McMillan & Wife.
22. THE SPICE GIRLS: If you wanted crazy, there was Scary Spice. If you wanted trampy, there was Ginger. And if you wanted voluptuous, there was Baby. Then there was Posh, who you just wanted.
21. RICHARD GERE: Few probably thought Gere, when he was starring in American Gigolo and An Officer and a Gentleman, would ever age into a social activist.
20. GEORGE CLOONEY: Before there was McDreamy, there was Clooney. Does this mean Patrick Dempsey is fated to leave Grey's Anatomy and win Oscars and direct movies? Are you drunk?
19. BRITNEY SPEARS: It seems decades since Britney's shimmy and low-riders made her synonymous with sex. Even after her sales began to slip, the pop tart's puppet masters were crafty enough to make the masses wonder what she'd do next.
18. SEAN CONNERY: In the jungle, a lion gets old and is run out of the pride by a younger, more virile rival. Unless the older lion is named Connery, in which case he scoffs, beds the younger lion's woman and shoots the upstart between the eyes. Connery will forever be the one, true Bond.
17. CATHERINE DENEUVE: She was hailed as the world's most elegant woman after she signed on to pitch Chanel No. 5 in the 1970s. A respected actor before she became an icon, Deneuve remains both to this day.
16. OLIVIA NEWTON JOHN: Along with Jane Fonda, Newton John popularized the 1980s aerobics movement with the song Physical. For a generation of guys, when they think of her, Grease is the word.
15. ANNA KOURN-IKOVA: What? She plays tennis, too?
14. JOHN TRAVOLTA: As Vinnie Barbarino on Welcome Back, Kotter, Travolta was the Ashton Kutcher of his day. But while Kutcher has all but jettisoned hopes of a serious career thanks to trite rubbish like Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?, Travolta became an idol when he signed on to the popular film Saturday Night Fever. Two decades later, he would again epitomize cinematic cool in Quentin Tarantino's landmark crime opus, Pulp Fiction.
13. CINDY CRAWFORD: There had been models, even supermodels, before her, but the arrival of Crawford and her signature mole signalled the beginning of the era of Naomi, Heidi, Tyra and Elle.
12. JOHNNY DEPP: Depp is the bad boy girls, and women, swoon for. For years, Depp eschewed the superstardom that has come to him now with the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise.
11. PAMELA ANDERSON: The Canadian who rode the wave of Baywatch to stratospheric success. In reality, she's a social activist and savvy businessperson, richer than either you or I will ever be.